Two Years Ago…
Kimme and I went out on our first date. I asked her out at the Nike Station during a trail run with the Trail Runner's Club, the club we’ve both been running on Sundays with for a few years. I usually started late and would pass her at some point during our runs so we didn’t talk much out on the trail, but when the club’s runs are over people generally hang around for a bit to socialize. Honestly, we didn’t talk much then either, but I got enough of a vibe from her to make some inquiries.
Since our first date we’ve been together every day but we still seldom run together. We start and end our runs together. We talk about our experiences out on the trail. We go to breakfast afterward and often take a nap together, but the run itself is an opportunity to commune with nature, our physical presence and thoughts on our own.
That’s one of the conundrums of a relationship. You are together. You want to be together. You want to help each other enjoy both individual and communal endeavors, but there are aspects of our souls that we can only nurture ourselves. Every adult should want some time alone. Not because you need to be away, but because you need to be a healthy individual to be part of a loving relationship.
Together, Kimme and I both want to explore, learn, build, create, and live a life on our own terms as much as possible given the resources we have. Some of our aspirations are rather hazy at the moment. Some, like moving to Panama at the beginning of 2015, seem both surreal, fortunate and will quickly overtake us.
I am blessed to have such a beautiful partner on this adventure. Where we want to go together and as individuals, how we can help each other, learn, love, create, comfort, laugh… who we meet along the way and how those encounters change the dynamics of everyone’s lives, is what this will all be about.
Michael
I love how this blog has captured so much of our relationship.
ReplyDelete