Friday, February 7, 2020

Michael: Seconds Away





 The web of branches

Scattered across the meadow

Lured me off the trail. 

 Tuesday, February 4, 2020



At last Saturday’s Nun Run I ran well coming in 5th overall in 20:17, though short of my under 20 goal. But I’m not going to give up just yet. I’ll give it another go on a FLAT course in May.



Until then, I’ll keep up with my weekly speedwork of alternating 400 meter and 200 meter sprints with some very short and steep hill sprints. The 4X400s I’ve recently upped to 11.2 mph and the 200s to 11.5. Extraordinarily pedestrian paces relative to what I could easily do in high school, but that’s age for you combined with wandering into the ultra trail running world for quite some time now.



*Scavenging through some storage bins for a briefcase strap, I came across the unused spikes I bought last year to gear up for a track mile. There’s another sad goal I’ll go after later; a 5:30 mile. Again something that feels like Flash like speed but felt like a trot in high school.



Next up though is the Leap Year 100k. That’ll be a slow moving affair where, fortunately, I don’t have any younger me past to reflect back on.



The web of branches

Scattered across the meadow

Lured me off the trail.



At last Saturday’s Nun Run I ran well coming in 5th overall in 20:17, though short of my under 20 goal. But I’m not going to give up just yet. I’ll give it another go on a FLAT course in May.



Until then, I’ll keep up with my weekly speedwork of alternating 400 meter and 200 meter sprints with some very short and steep hill sprints. The 4X400s I’ve recently upped to 11.2 mph and the 200s to 11.5. Extraordinarily pedestrian paces relative to what I could easily do in high school, but that’s age for you combined with wandering into the ultra trail running world for quite some time now.



*Scavenging through some storage bins for a briefcase strap, I came across the unused spikes I bought last year to gear up for a track mile. There’s another sad goal I’ll go after later; a 5:30 mile. Again something that feels like Flash like speed but felt like a trot in high school.



Next up though is the Leap Year 100k. That’ll be a slow moving affair where, fortunately, I don’t have any younger me past to reflect back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment