Topanga
Canyon
Dodged
the devil once again
Though
not forever.
Friday, May 21, 2021
This
being my first injury requiring medical intervention since being uninsured, I
am now discovering how truly painful it is to receive medical treatment in the
U.S.
After
a similar crash in Panama requiring very similar initial treatment (ambulance
service, examination, x-rays, MRI…) I was handed a bill and out the door after
paying $340 dollars at the hospital cashier.
In
the U.S. for obvious (profit) and complicated (struggling between free market
and tax-based solutions) reasons, the payment aspect of treatment is both
prolonged and painful.
So
far, nearly a month and half after my accident, I still have no idea of what
the costs will be or who is going to bill me or help me out.
To
this date I’ve received three separate bills from the radiologist, ambulance
service and Emergency Room Physician. The radiologist bill is the only one I’ve
paid so far. The others I’ve sent back and referred them to my Health Share
provider; Trinity. That’s not, as they emphasize, a medical insurance product,
but a group share medical emergency plan.
My
orthopedist who performed the surgery on my clavicle is directly billing
Trinity. And, I believe, according to my policy, eventually I’ll owe $5,000 for
whatever they cover as that’s my deductible.
The
hospital where I was initially treated has also referred me to a company that
assist people who may qualify for financial aid through various government
programs. I’ll give them a call today. Though I doubt I qualify, who the hell
knows?
My
shoulder has is just about completely recovered and I’m very appreciative of
all the fine services I’ve received to date. My poor wallet though is suffering
through a period of prolonged and anguishing debilitation and I am unsure of
the final prognosis or trajectory of recovery.
No comments:
Post a Comment