Saturday, February 5, 2022

Giving Up

 Santa Ana winds;

Dry, cold winter mountain air,

Rush through the canyons.

Thursday, February 2, 2022

 If Tom Brady can retire in his 40s, I can certainly start taking Mondays off in my 60s.

 I hadn’t planned on it. I thought I was strong enough to come off a 55-hour shift, take a nap, then get up and work out. But it’s not working out that way. I’m just zapped physically and mentally Monday afternoons. So instead of fighting it any longer and always starting my work-out week with a negative of not having even attempting what should be my first workout of the week; I’m giving in and just putting my feet up and napping with the dog Monday afternoon.

 One official day off per week shouldn’t kill me. Being realistic, at this stage of the game, it should make me stronger as I’ll be more well rested starting the week off on Tuesday after half a rest day.

 It does string my workouts together and will require some doubling up if I wand to get some upper body work in, but I think I’m smart enough to make it work.

 Tuesday won’t change except for the order. Instead of riding on the trainer then doing tempo runs, I’ll run first then ride. I read in Tri magazine that’s the way to go and switching it up from my old ways sounds like a good change of pace.

 Wednesdays will now be my sunrise run day followed by a long recovery afternoon, before getting off the couch to lift.

 Thursday will still be long bike day.

Fridays will now be all out sprints then lift days. Which should allow me to feel decent if I’ve got to start Saturday mornings off with slow jogs at my hiking guide gig, which is pretty typical.

 Sundays and Mondays are easy walk days with the guests which should have me itching to go on Tuesdays.


Sounds like a plan. Now the hard part; executing it consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment