Monday, June 12, 2017

Michael: The Soft Double


The volcano’s eye
Peaks through its white clouded cheek
And threatens darkness.

Sunday, July 11, 2017

As a sophomore in high school I doubled in track, running both the mile and two mile at league meets. I didn’t do it happily, but I was fairly successful at it and the points helped us go undefeated for that season.

Later as an adult competing in duathlons, I actually enjoyed not only the rigors of the run-bike-run event, but also the high intensity training that also would involve doubling; running and riding on the same day or even one right after the other; commonly known as the brick workout.

But as I got older, the rigors of a full time job and training had me longing for what I thought would be the bliss of retirement, where I would be able to workout hard in the morning, refresh, then go at it again in the afternoon. I was going to become Super Senior Citizen Man.

That’s still a dream of mine but it’s not going to be as easy as I thought.

I do feel I can still do doubles, but I feel soft doubles are going to be healthier, more enjoyable, and more sustainable now. By a soft double, I mean a run or ride in the morning followed by a weight session, rower, slide board, or jump rope workout in the afternoon. They’re easier on the body and since I keep them all pretty short I can usually rebound enough overnight to roll out of bed with at least a decent bounce in my step for the morning effort to come.

I don’t like the notion that I’ve got to make compromises as I age, but hopefully I’ve gained enough wisdom and feel for my body to sense what’s the best path to take as an aging athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment