Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Michael: Bulldog Tales


Powdery white skies
On a quiet blue morning
Envelop the moon.

Tuesday, August, 28, 2018

One thing about racing a lot is it doesn’t give you much time for either praise or pity, so my summation of Bulldog is going to be brief as I’ve got Pier to Peak to prepare for this Sunday.

I did set an age group record for the 60-69 bracket with a decent time of 2:14:54. I was aiming for a 2:10, so fell short of that. I’m also still stubborn enough and hopefully realistic enough to believe I can be competitive in general and not just as an age grouper. I came in 10th overall out of a field of over 300. I would’ve placed 4th in the 20-29 group; 3rd in the 30-39 group; 5th in the 40-49 bracket, would’ve won the 50-59 group; and would’ve been the 2nd woman. So not bad, all considered.

Had very little physical issues. I did have some of my off and on under the heel pain on the long descent, but that quickly went away on the little bump up single track after leaving the fire road. The Hoka Torrents along with Superfeet green insoles, mostly did the trick, but it will be something I’ll have to be aware of unfortunately as I plan to go into longer races shortly.

I’m not sure what the issue is but I believe it can be managed by diligently stretching, proper training, good equipment, and rest. But I suppose most things are related to being smart about those aspects of conditioning.

With my fourth race in three weeks coming up, I’m also pretty certain I’m going to space my races out a bit more next year. I feel beat. How I raced so much while working full time not that long ago, baffles me. But so does age in general, and all that chanting “age is just a number” crap isn’t going to prevent the clock from ticking and the effects of age from taking it’s toll. So I’ve got to wise up as an aging coach if my aging athlete expects to remain competitive. And he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment