Saturday, September 28, 2019

Michael: On the Horizon




 A light drizzle falls

Dampening the skies and my

Spirit to travel.

 Saturday, September 28, 2019



I haven’t raced in over a month and my last race was a DNF which always makes the next race a bit edgier. That race will also be a new one for me in an area I’ve never run in before, Monrovia, which should also slightly ratchet up the nerves. Still believe it should be a good time and I’m going to shoot for under 2 hours which should also place decently high up on the leaderboard.



Given that my training has mostly consisted of hiking at work with just a few run and ride outings, I should probably tamper down on my expectations, but I’m feeling very good and enthusiastic after having such a good experience hiking part of the Colorado Trail.



A bit of a downer is that the day after the race I wanted to run a track mile in spikes and shoot for close to 5:30. But I’m going to back out do to lack of specific training this last month and a half. That more than likely means putting off a track race until next year. A bit bummed about that but I don’t want to get out there and just go through the motions.



Fortunately, I’ll be returning to my primary work location at the Four Seasons which has a very good gym and I can start working on the treadmill and using weights again. Strength and speed go so quickly, particularly at my age.



I also feel that working on the treadmill, or doing sprints outside, which I should’ve been doing while I didn’t have access to the gym, becomes more important as we age. Speed leaves our muscles so quickly and takes so long to work back. The form improvements have carried over for me and allowed me to be a better trail runner.

But that time off is history I can’t do anything with now. I’ll just have to fight to get back what I can one speed workout per week at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment