Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Michael: Threes




 The blistering heat

Is worn like a straight jacket

In an open jail.

 Monday, October 21, 2019



At Saturday’s Rocky Peak 30k I had a reversal of fortune.



Two weeks ago at the Monrovia half marathon I won with a time that would’ve had me in third last year. Saturday I came in third with a time that would’ve had me winning the previous two Rocky Peak 30ks. That’s the way the luck of the draw works. Sometimes it’s not about you, it’s about who shows up.



I did beat my goal time of three hours by a minute so I’m pretty pleased. Again, I ran a smart race, prepared well and made good decisions as far as logistics and equipment go. Never sure how long I’ll be able to keep this up, but still up beat about getting out there and giving it the old college try and I suppose in many ways, that’s what counts. 



As another little fantasy feather in my cap, somebody running the 50k, that started 30 minutes ahead of the 30k, recognized me as I passed by and shouted out, “Is that Michael Becker?”.  They recognized me because I’m one of the few runners that wear gloves. I’ve always wished that someday somebody I didn’t know would identify me at a race. It’s a goofy little ego thing I’ll admit, but it still felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment