Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Michael: Going Solo


 

A meditation

Through the dry brush and creek bed

Gives me peace of mind.

 Wednesday, October 23, 2019



After thirty years, I gave up riding motorcycles about six years ago. Like many things I’ve given up along the way of life, I’ve seldom looked back with regret or feel a longing to resume what I’ve left behind. Riding was exhilarating and I enjoyed it for the most part, but the heightened danger was always hard to deny and as my last motorcycle was also an active participant in trying to kill me, giving it up wasn’t all that difficult of a decision.



Now my wife and I share a car; a Honda CRZ. We’ve been doing this for over a year and it’s worked out pretty well, particularly since we work together and can ride share most days. Having only one car expense really helps save money. For a while she was pushing for a second car, but the financial benefits of just getting by with one vehicle are pretty hard to argue against.



I had thought of getting a large scooter as a second vehicle. I’ve had a couple before and enjoyed them. But as far as safety goes, they’re really no different than motorcycles, so I’ve nixed that idea.



But through the magic of modern technology and a look down the youtube rabbit hole, a third way may have emerged. Could we have a second vehicle that’s not as expensive as a car that’s also not a two wheeled death trap?



Perhaps. And that’s where the Meccanica Solo comes in. It’s a three wheeled all electric vehicle that’s classified as an autocycle, meaning that it doesn’t require a helmet or motorcycle license to operate. It’s seems to be almost ideal as a second vehicle. It’s relatively inexpensive at about $15k, takes up very little space, and would seem to provide some of the joys of motorcycle driving while also providing the comfort of an enclosed and air conditioned capsule.



The downsides are that even though it’s not a motorcycle it’s still much smaller than the hulking SUVs and trucks out there that would squash it like a bug in a high speed collision. It’s reliability is also unproven and I’m sure any repairs or maintenance will be costly and time consuming. And even though it’s relatively inexpensive, $15k is still nothing to sneeze at.



Still, I’ve put a $250 refundable deposit down on one. Though I’m in no hurry for that order to come through. The longer it takes the more I have time to think about it and gather information about what others think about their experience with this interesting little vehicle that I may be driving someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment