Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Michael: The Tortoise




 Contours emanate

Unseen radiant desires

That breathe between us. 

 Wednesday, November 6, 2019



Every Saturday, as part of my job, I listen to a trainer tell our guests that there is a far easier way to improve cardio vascular fitness than the hikes we take them on. He suggest, that instead of hiking, they should do HIIT training.



Why?



Because it’s far less time consuming and obtains very similar results.



Maybe.



And why the maybe. Because if all you care about is the exercise numbers he may be right. But it isn’t just all about the numbers. Even the trainer doesn’t believe it’s all about the numbers.



This dude rides a very expensive Pinarello. So why does he invest all that time and money into cycling outside if he can get just about all the same results more efficiently indoors?



Because … wait for it… he can’t. There are all kinds of benefits to getting outside and moving rhythmically for sustained periods of time (endurance training), that aren’t replicated through HIIT training. He knows it. I know it, and so does everyone who gets outside and moves in some way or another for a decent length of time.



That’s not to say that I’m against HIIT training. I do it myself. But as a supplement to endurance training, not as a replacement. It does not and cannot serve as a replacement. I just wish he’d make that clear to our guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment