Of
the cruelty humans
Are
capable of.
Tuesday, August 11, 2020
A
long-term guest at our wellness retreat has offered me two bicycles he has
barely ridden. The fact that he’s 6’2” and it’s unlikely they’ll fit me didn’t
stop me from immediately accepting his gracious offer.
A
few of my fellow workers suggest that I should sell them. But I feel that would
be bad karma. Someone offers you a gift because they feel you’re passionate
about it, then to turn around and sell it…doesn’t work for me.
But
since I can’t make use of them as is, I figure I can use the parts on a proper
fitting frame and trade in the gift frame for the maintenance of getting a bike
mechanic to assemble and properly fit it to me.
I
was leaning toward getting a Bianchi frame as I’ve always had a desire to ride
a celeste Bianchi. But the Otre X4 is $6k and I can’t see spending that kind of
money on a frameset during these precarious times when I’m unsure of steady
employment and so many people are in need.
Fortunately,
I have found a LTD Cervelo R5 2019 frameset on sale for just over $2k which
seems very reasonable. That means I will build a top of the line bike with disc
brakes for far less than most decent intro bikes with rim brakes.
That’s
an opportunity that makes me both feel as giddy as a child at Christmas and
reasonably guilt free as an adult.
No comments:
Post a Comment