Aware
of the small rabbit
At
the trail’s end.
Friday, August 7, 2020
My
mother is 86 years old. That’s 24 years older than I am. There was never a
point in our lives where we agreed politically as she was always a bit
conservative and I’ve always leaned toward democratic socialism.
My
views have stayed fairly consistent but for some reason over the past decade my
mother has strangely morphed into a quasi Trumpster. And I don’t know how I
feel about this.
Of
course I still love her and there’s much we can talk about outside of politics,
but it is strange. And it has changed how I view all those people who are
ridiculed mercilessly by the likes of Jordan Klepper when he interviews Trump
devotees at his rallies.
I
used to get a good chuckle at the hypocrisy of his mostly senior followers as
they were caught completely unaware of how idiotic they sound. But I don’t feel
my mom’s an idiot.
So
what happened? That I cannot say. And I’m not going to push to hard on my mom
to defend the indefensible. I figure at this point the best thing I can do is
listen and try to, as gently as I can, point out that there are differences of
opinion as to the various solutions to the many difficulties our country faces.
Hopefully we can at least sometimes agree that people can mean well while
holding vastly differing ideas about how to improve the conditions of the country
that we’ve both grown old together in.
No comments:
Post a Comment