Saturday, January 23, 2021

The Moratorium

 

A spanking of hair

Graces the tops of their heads

As they stroll along.

 January 22, 2021

 Even before receiving the latest stimulus check, I have been doing my fair share to keep money circulating through the economy.

 Since going back to work after the shutdown, while not buying off the shelf newly minted top of the line major purchases, I have bought a used car and put together a bike out of a new frame and very nice gifted old parts. I’ve also indulged my shoe, clothing and gear lusts pretty much to my satisfaction, and I shop at Whole Foods weekly.

 But all that’s about to come to an end until at least my birthday in May (except the Whole Foods purchases – sorry T.Js, your produce just doesn’t cut it).

 My sister, who is still a practicing Catholic, gives something up for Lent every year. While I’m no longer a Catholic, I do believe there are all kinds of benefits to reigning in my purchases for an extended period of time. For me that time is between the end of January and May every year.

 Why that period?

 It seems ridiculous to stop buying right at the New Year when I’m just flush with Christmas unfulfilled wishes and a work bonus check. So I give myself all of January to mull my desires over.

 And why end at May?

 That’s my birthday month and it would be highly implausible that I’m not going to get myself a little something for that more and more precious occasion.

 Fortunately, there are only a few items I’m left lusting for at the moment, but none I would make use of before May. Eventually I’ll get a new sleeping quilt for some fast pack trips once the weather is better. As soon as it seems probable that races will actually physically take place, I’ll get the Saucony Endorphin Pros. And in a few weeks I’ll test drive the Solo, an all electric single seater that I put a deposit down on. But I’m hoping that purchasing decision will be put off for quite a while as I took a big hit on the down payment on the new used car.

 
All things considered I am in a very fortunate situation and it’ll be interesting to see how much my savings will increase as I limit myself to only necessary purchases until I blow out the candles on my 63rd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment