She
breathes and I breathe;
Her
weight a soothing cloth
For
a fevered life.
Thursday, April 1, 2021
Breaking
a clavicle is a fairly common bike injury but up until last Sunday, despite
numerous accidents, I had avoided it.
I’ve
had my share of both common and freak bicycle accidents that have caused minor
annoyances from a rib break to numerous lacerations and stitches, but two out
of the last three falls, all within the short period of 5 years, has me
seriously considering stepping away from cycling for a while and throwing my
athletic energies into less risky endeavors like shark wrestling.
Sunday
was the latest and ranks right up there with a tree branch being cut and
falling right in front of me in Panama as one of the more unusual; a dude
losing control of his skateboard and launching it into my bike. I have no
recollection of the fall outside of glimpsing the board out of the corner of my
eye than standing and listening to two dudes, one of whom caused the accident,
then doing what the good Samaritan told me to do – get in his car.
He
also had my bike in tow and was smart enough to take numbers and pictures of
the skateboard dude’s license and car plate. He put this in the notes section
of my phone.
After
being treated very kindly by all the hospital staff and cleaned up as best they
could, I went home at 11 p.m. that night with the knowledge that I have a
broken right clavicle that may need surgical repair. Today I consult with an
orthopedic surgeon to discuss that possibility.
When
my last motorcycle was done trying to kill me by randomly shutting down with
mysterious electrical problems, after 38 years of riding I decided that was
that with motorcycles.
This
has that same very intuitive feeling with bicycles. I’ve bounced back from
crashes before always with the determination to get back out there and ride.
But not this time. This is my second hospitalization in 4 years and my first surgery. I believe that’s enough to
start placing my energy into other outdoor adventures that I’ve put off, like
surfing.
There
just isn’t enough time to do everything and though I’m a strong rider, and
would like to compete in duathlons and possibly triathlons, for the next couple
of years I’m going to stay off of bikes and center my physical and competitive
juices into running and improving my upper body strength.
Bicycling
is a blast. I don’t feel there’s much that replicates the experience of it. But
like many high-speed activities, as the speed goes up so do the risk factors
and damages. How any of us balance those to make a determination as to what’s
acceptable to us is highly individual. Right now my intuition is telling me to
step away, at least for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment