The
desert willow
Angelic
white pink flowers
Grace
the dry landscape.
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
Turns
out I was right all along. Well, truly more luckily ignorant.
I’ve
never been much of a practitioner of LSD training, not even when I was
convinced it was the right way to go. Like most people holding a Monday-Friday;
9-5 type job, getting more than one multi-hour run per week is a tough ask.
So I tried work arounds by doing a long
run/ride on weekends with tempo and brick training during the week. I followed
that pattern for a good 20 years before stopping the brick workouts all
together about 10 years ago as there just weren’t many duathlons to train for. Though
I am planning to compete in multi-sport events again soon and may throw an
occasional short brick workout in here and there.
Currently
I’ve modified my workouts slightly based on recent readings and watchings that
advocate short sprint work. Along with that workout, I’m doing one two/three
hour run per week along with an interval session of 5- three minute hard
efforts followed by a ten/twenty minute tempo run.
Yesterday
was my first 5k race in a year and a half. I finished fourth overall and first
in my age. Pretty much what I was doing before the pandemic. My goal is to go under 20, but at this event I
recorded a 20:50. The course was a shade long though and rolling, so I still
believe my 5k time goal is within reach.
It’s
difficult to assess whether my tweaks in training have made much of a
difference as I’ve never made the big leap from LSD to higher intensity
training. But given my consistent results over many years I’m confident my anecdotal
evidence along with current studies is all the proof I need that my
fortuitously ignorant training plan was and is the right way to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment