Three
deer crossed my path
As
I jogged up the canyon.
This
morning is blessed.
Thursday, September 16, 2021
When
I started running with the Santa Monica Trail Runners Club about twenty years
ago or so, there were a few very energetic older men who very much enjoyed
flirting with women of all ages. Many of us could see that this was off-putting
to many of the women.
That
isn’t to say that it was always agreeable when younger dudes flirted. But let’s
be honest about how humans work. This was a club that promoted people to come
out and run and socialize together. There’s bound to be some flirting/dating
among individuals voluntarily coming together to engage in likeminded physical
activity.
So
where the line is drawn between flirting and creepy isn’t always so clear cut. Yet
it was easy to see in some situations these old dudes were just sadly and
strangely oblivious to the fact that the age difference between some of the
women they chose to rub up against should’ve been easily recognized as
inappropriate.
And
now the truly sad part; I may now be one of those older men. And from my
vantage point I can now very much empathize with the older men I use to run
with.
I’m
not running with the club anymore, but I do work for a wellness center and I’m
near the point where I’m getting to be close to many of our guests’ father’s
age.
And
the irony is that my scope for what women I find attractive has definitely
widened from mid 50s to mid-20s.
From
my previous experiences watching older men, I’m doing my best to reign myself
in and not be just another dirty old man. Yet I’m also tempted to believe that
there must be an exception to the rule and with my fairly decent job of aging
and demeanor surely I must still have broad appeal (bad
pun intended).
No comments:
Post a Comment