Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Hot Bench

The smile of a wolf

With a vicious temperament

When on the prowl.

Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2021

Not only does it seem as if justice is neither swift nor fair in many cases, sometimes it seems downright bizarre.

 In my case, when a skateboarder lost control of his board that hit my bike causing me to fall and break my clavicle, I was just about ready to give up when possibly the entertainment Gods are going to step in to help out.

 The producer from a program called “Hot Bench” sent me a letter inquiring if I would be willing to have that show arbitrate my case. The catch is the defendant would also have to agree to appear. And why would he? The producer explained that the advantage for a defendant is that because it’s binding arbitration that’s not going through the courts, it doesn’t show on their records. I hope that’s enough bait. I also hope that the contact information the dude gave me was accurate. I tried calling once but never received a response.

 This is the e-mail I sent back to the producer.

 Thank you so much for considering my case. I was at the point where I felt receiving justice was hopeless.

 Outside of your sadly true statement regarding collecting damages through the small claims court system, the court made a clerical error listing two different case numbers and a different defendant (Bicycle World) on the mandatory mediation notice. In Los Angeles before proceeding to trial mandatory mediation is required. I sent a certified letter to the court stating this error on June 15 and have, as of yet, not received any update.

 And it doesn’t end there. Because I’m in my 60s health insurance is extremely expensive. To lower the cost over a year ago I joined a health share network; Trinity Health Share. They have since filed for bankruptcy protection. To this point I have paid out of pocket for a very expensive ambulance ride and a few x-ray bills. My clavicle surgery went very well and I am almost fully recovered my physical injuries but am in limbo as to whether or how much of that was paid for.

 However, it isn’t the expenses and mental and physical discomfort of the accident that caused me to seek renumeration through the court system, it was the lack of remorse or any attempt to make amends by Mr. Flores.

 Fortunately at the time of the accident there was a good Samaritan on hand, Matt, who rushed me to urgent care, had the sense to use my phone to get the I.D.s of Mr.Flores and his friend, and held on to my damaged bicycle until it was convenient for my wife to retrieve it.

 If there are any details of the case that you need, I’ll be happy to forward them to you. I’ll also call you tomorrow after work.

 Thank you again for your time and for reaching out.


No comments:

Post a Comment