Monday, March 30, 2015
Michael: Monday, March 30, 2015
The bird’s call sounds like
Chaplan’s swallowed whistle that
Disrupts the singer.
If I were Rip Van Winkle and fell asleep for a 100 years, when I woke up I’d presume it was a Monday, because just like today and most Mondays, I feel a little groggy and despondent. I’m sure it’s largely explained by the natural re-balancing after two hard days of physical and mental exertion that’s required during my long ride on Saturday and our long hike on Sunday. And though I accept that, being able to understand it doesn’t prevent this listlessness from creeping in every Monday morning.
And since it was my sister’s birthday yesterday and we are now magically once again the same age for 5 weeks, perhaps a little extra dash of depressant is thrown into the mix as it heightens my awareness of aging.
But now to slowly try to lift the veil of this homely bride of a Monday, lets turn to an awareness of what new occurrences and commitments I made over the weekend.
On the ride Saturday, now that my bike has a computer on board, I discovered just how difficult the ride to Rio Sereno is and how fast I’m going down some of those hills. And they’re all kind of fun and exhilarating numbers to me. After the 40 mile ride my average speed was only 12.6mph. There is no ride that length at home where I don’t average closer to 15mph, including that dreaded bitch Las Flores. That excites me. I am going to do this road faster. And speaking of fast; my top speed was 46 mph. I knew I was going down some of these hills quickly but I thought these mounds were a bit tamer than the ones on the Orange Blossom Highway. I’m almost afraid to find out how fast I go some of those screamers.
On Sunday I was once again almost dreading the beautiful weather Cerro Punta’s been having as it means I have no excuses not to run, and though once I get going I usually enjoy the experience, both Kimme and I are ready to change things up just a bit and no matter the weather next weekend, we’ll head for the off-shoot trail going to a rocky overlook. Yesterday though there was a new feature on the Quetzal for us. We kept passing these mounds of blueberry like droppings. I presumed they were from the wild boars, and a guide also told Kimme this.
On our short walk back from home from the bus stop I noticed Kimme wince in a little bit of pain and that’s when I came to the realization of how alike we are in a way that I hadn’t thought of before. We were both raised to hide our pain and suffering. Kimme through a smile and me through stoical denial.
We’ve also made similar pledges about our internet habits. She is not going to the net until after she exercises and I’m not going “researching” after my morning online session. That should free some time up for us to get to the positive habits we should be developing here.
And that leaves me about one hour right now to look at shoes and what not so I’m ending this right here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment