Monday, June 29, 2015

Michael: Looking for Riders


The rivers of blood
That snake just under the skin
Feel like aliens.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Just like in Los Angeles, there is a cadre of colorful nylon/spandex cyclists here in Chiriqui. Naturally, since most of the population here lives near the coast, so do most of the cyclists. But, again like Los Angeles, I’ve been expecting to run into some serious roadies desiring to tackle the beautiful hilly roads around Volcan. Yesterday I found out why that doesn’t happen very often.

Heading south from Volcan is a lazy winding road that heads toward the coast and the far larger towns of Bugaba and Concepcion. From Volcan the first town you hit is Bugaba, where the road ends at the Pan American Highway.

Until yesterday I had only taken the bus down the entire road. I have ridden the southern road down the first 9 miles from our cottage to the small village of Cuesta De Piedra where a very challenging road begins that leads toward Boquete to the east. That first 9 mile section is a piece of cake. Yesterday I rode the entire road to Bugaba.

The ride downhill to Bugaba is a 22 mile no brake joy. Compared to some of the other mountainous roads leading from Volcan, there were never any turns that had my heart in my throat hoping my skills and brakes were good enough to navigate the treacherous winding descents.

But, and here’s why I don’t see many riders up in the highlands near me, to get back to Volcan from Bugaba you’ve got to turn around and grind up hill for 22 miles. It’s never that steep but there is 4,600 ft of elevation gain. For most clubs or groups starting from the coast on the weekend, I’m sure that’s challenge enough and most of them stop in Volcan and turn back.

In fact, yesterday I saw a large group of riders of about 30-40 being escorted up the hill and then again going downhill while I was grinding my way back to Volcan.

I’m calculating that they were in Bugaba sometime around 7a.m. Which would mean if I ever want to ride with a large group of riders uphill to see where I fall in the pecking order around here, I’m going to have to get up awfully early to ride downhill to meet them. I’ve been starting my rides at 9 to give the roads a chance to dry and enjoy the peace of the mornings. But I suppose, just like in Los Angeles, once in a while I’ll force myself out the door a bit earlier than I’d prefer so I can enjoy the challenges and camaraderie of riding with a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment