A white layer
Of dust and dampness straddle
The earth and heaven.
Sunday, March 12, 2017
There are no more veggie burgers here in Volcan. There weren’t any here the first year we were here either.
Kimme and I were always together that first year so I didn’t miss my old faux bachelor staple, but this year she’s been traveling to the states more frequently and it’s been nice to fall back on my old bachelor ways of just placing a frozen patty in a small frying pan and just flipping it over every 5 minutes. That, on top of a pesto wrap and a few slices of jalapeƱo jack cheese along with a simple no lettuce salad, and I’ve done just about all the cooking I’m going to do while I’m living the temporary single life again.
I will admit that I’ve fancied it up just a touch since my twenties. Now I use olive oil in the pan instead of butter and I make my own dressing out of olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of a bottle of Kraft’s Blue Cheese dressing. But that’s as far as I’m sure I’ll ever go in the fine chef direction. As is, I’m satisfied.
But now without burgers available what am I going to do? I suppose I’ll up the ante just a tad and substitute a quick two egg omelet for the burger. That’ll require that I stand over the stove instead of watching short clips of the late night comics taking whacks at the president in between burger flips. A pain, but it beats starving.
Kimme did offer to make her version of veggie burgers before she left which next time round I won’t gallantly but foolishly decline.
No comments:
Post a Comment