Monday, March 20, 2017
Michael: A Trail Run Bonanza
A momentary
silence; where the air is still
And without feathers.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
Randomly ask one hundred different people what they associate L.A. with and you’re bound to get all kinds of responses. Ask me and I’d say a great place to trail run.
That’s right, just outside the multi-million personed chaos that’s L.A. are vast expanses of mountain wilderness with long beautiful stretches of single track trails. Next week I’ll be fortunate enough to get out and visit a few of my old favorites.
Unfortunately, because I only have a week there and a race on some trails I’ve never run before right in the middle of my visit, I won’t be able to get to all of my old stomping grounds.
But to hell with the recovery after a race advice. I’ve got three months after this visit to prep for the next batch of races so I’m going to wear myself out after this race and get in as many runs as I can. Heck, I might even be fortunate to see some running water in streams that haven’t had a decent flow in years. And I know for sure I’ll get to see the ocean when I run the Ray Miller Trail off of PCH near the L.A./Oxnard County line.
Pre-race, as a final equipment check, I’ll run Santa Ynes Canyon and my old trail runners’ club’s turkey trot. It starts in a charming stretch of canopy along a stream bed, though I can’t recall the last time I saw water there.
Sunday, after the race on Saturday, if I’ve got any legs left, Kimme and I will visit my family in San Clemente. Nearby, there are some beautiful trails a little over half way up Ortega Highway in Orange County. One of my favorites is the Morgan Creek Trail that starts by the Candy Store. It’s a mild 5 mile out and 5 miles back that parallels a small stream and turns around in after a run through a nice oak canopy. And, the best part, it finishes at the Candy Store.
Then I’ll hit Bull Dog, Ray Miller, then finish up the trip with Santa Ynes to Trippett Ranch to the Musch trail to the Garapito Trail then back to Santa Ynes via the Eagle Rock Lookout. It’s been so long since I’ve done the Garapito I hope it doesn’t trip me up like it use to (In more ways than one.). For some reason, after leaving that trail I always want to avoid going uphill on the fire road back to Hub junction. At some point I use to realize that I was headed the wrong way and turn around, but it took a lot more runs than it should’ve.
But getting lost, or just lost in thought, on some of the many wonderful trails in L.A., is a blessing I miss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment