Friday, August 25, 2017
Michael: A Done Deal
The sun through the clouds
Imagines its veiled presence
Obscures its desires.
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Yesterday Adrian and I concluded our handshake transaction of his buying my old bicycle with a brake overhaul and a ten dollar bill.
Adrian is a Panamanian who runs his A.D.N. bicycle repair shop just down the street from us. About 8 months ago when I asked him if he’d sell my bike and split the sale with me he agreed. The next day he’d thought about it and asked if I’d sell it to him. Problem was he’d have to pay me in installments - $50 a month until the $400 agreed upon price was paid off.
No problem I thought. He’s been honest with me and he lives here.
And the great part is there’s no “trust but verify” or “buyer beware” moral twist to the story.
One month he was short on cash and we agreed he’d just double up the payment next month. When that month came he paid me $60 instead of the $100 he owed me, but I wasn’t concerned.
The next week I took my bike in to have the brake fluid changed and the pads replaced. He charged me $30 and gave me a $10. We shook hands, smiled, and I was on my way.
A good old fashioned deal done between people who, though speaking very little of each other’s language, just felt that they could trust each other. And they were right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment