Monday, February 19, 2018

Michael: Chocolate Butterflies and Lava Cakes


Where is the water
Needed for the chaparral
Of California?

Sunday, February 17, 2018

It’s a month and a half into the new year and if I were in Panama I would be weighing myself every day and know exactly when I had reached my New Year’s resolution goal of reaching my race weight. At that point I could, without guilt, resume my long lasting love affair with chocolate.

But this has been a topsy turvy year. Now that I’m back in the states and don’t have a scale in the bathroom, I’ve hardly weighed myself at all this year and can only guess that I’m relatively close to where I want to be.

Because of that, and the stress of moving, going back to work, commuting and not being with my wife for over a month, I’ve allowed myself a few indulgences while, maybe not literally violating my chocolate abstinence pledge, certainly violate the spirit of it.

Here and there (here being the local donut shop and there being Denny’s) I’ve devoured what are known as chocolate butterflies and lava cakes. Technically, my thought was I would give up chocolate bars this year, and these goodies, as chocolaty evil as they are, are not chocolate bars. Actually they’re far worse and I know it. But boy are they two pieces of chocolaty, gooey, warm and cold deliciousness.

At work I do have access to a scale and today I’m going to hop on it and hope that I’ve achieved my desired weight. If not, I’m going to rework my resolution to include everything and anything that includes chocolate until I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment