Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Michael: The Pro Asked for My Autograph

 Saturday, April 28, 2018

A field of flowers
graces the late spring season
with blooms of color.

Baseball and I have slowly parted ways over the years to the point where if Joe Mauer has retired from the Twins, I wouldn’t be able to name a single current professional player. 

This parting of the ways wasn’t dramatic or triggered by any sudden change in the game or myself. It’s been more like my transition from a love of milk chocolate as a kid to a strong preference for dark chocolate as an adult - just one of those things that I’m sure I could rationalize if need be, but that wouldn’t truly serve as a explanation. 

And it’s definitely not like boxing; where I almost feel ashamed of ever being such a fan. In fact I enjoy my reminiscences with old friends (and my mom - the biggest influence in my life when it comes to my sports education). I even enjoy going to a game if invited although I no longer have any rooted interest in the outcome. 

That’s why this week was such a big treat for me. We had a guest who was a highly regarded former professional player. He was a player after my prime interest in the sport, but familiar enough to where I had a fuzzy idea he was a name I should know if I had remained highly interested in the sport. So I checked in with an old friend who confirmed that I was in the presence of a pretty darned good former player. 

And this guy was a great guy. And in a twist that would’ve had me peeing my pants with joy when I was a kid, he asked to have his picture taken with me and gave me a sizeable tip when he checked out. It was a thrill. Maybe not in the same league as my lost Twins cap with Harmon Killebrew’s and Tony Oliva’s autographs, but I won’t forget this gentleman’s kindness and humble demeanor in an era where too much attention is given to so many people in so many industries who’s only claim to fame is their ability to draw attention to themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment