Tuesday, May 29, 2018
MIchael: The Dream Mile
A curtain of fog
Drapes the coast in a blindfold
Of misty wishes.
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
An old high school buddy that I use to run track with, and knows I’m going to be racing in one of my old high school events - the mile, sent me the list of our top 10 world age group mile times for last year. It’s both kind of sad and interesting to look at though exactly how sad and interesting I won’t know; even after racing in my mile event in two weeks.
Why?
Because the times he sent me were all run on a track and I’m going to be running on a straight road all down hill. The sad part will be if I can’t even come close to these other old geezers times with a down hill shove.
And even if I do that’ll also be kind of sad, as their times on the track of between 5:05 - 5:20 are pretty pedestrian even for high school sophomores.
And I’m not talking about high school sophomores now. I have no idea what kids are running a mile in these days. I’m talking about when I went to school. It took me probably 2/3 of the track season before I broke 5 minutes. My high school best was 4:42. And I’ve never been timed on a track since, and of the few road miles I’ve done in the last 10 years, I’ve never broken the 5 minute barrier.
Age has crept up on me and no matter how many compliments people give me about not looking my age, the numbers don’t lie. In fact in a couple of weeks they’re going to slap me with the hard truth that I’ll never run under a 5 minute mile ever again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment