Friday, June 1, 2018

Michael: Forwards and Back


The yellow flowers
Small and wet cover my legs
Like I’m a hippie.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Yesterday I ran my first flat fast road 5k as a 60 year old and at least it was prettier than I’ve ever danced.

At the Lake Balboa 5k I came in 4th place overall and won my age group with a time of 20:19; after that it only figuratively goes down hill.

That time was much slower than I was shooting for so I decided to look up a past race to get a reference point for what age has done to me. And just for kicks I looked up the Santa Monica/Venice Christmas 10k/5k 2011 results. In that race, I ran a 19:02 5k after finishing a 38:45 10k half an hour earlier. It was kind of fun to note that my pace for those two races was exactly 6:14 per mile. Yesterday, on rested legs, my pace for the 5k was 6:33 per mile.

But I’m not going to slump into using that “well, at least for my age…” bullshit. I’m not satisfied. But I am going to try and be realistic. I just started serious calibrated speed work a few weeks ago, so I’ve got to give it some time to hopefully show some dividends. I’m hoping I can at least push back the devil’s stopwatch to under 19 minutes for a flat fast 5k. I haven’t got one in mind, but I’m sure there’ll be a few to choose from on July 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment