Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Michael: The Wise Man
The spiked amber globe
Hangs like a vicious planet
Over the desert.
Monday, June 11, 2018
After three years away from the states, I naturally expect to see friends and family a bit more, maybe even run into an old acquaintance now and then, but what’s really a kick in the pants is running into those odd once in a lifetime characters that I’ve completely forgotten that I’d crossed paths with until that special moment of odd recognition recurs. Such a moment happened on my bike ride Sunday.
I hadn’t ridden Fernwood in over three years and was really looking forward to approaching that climb from an inland start as opposed to my old West side ride up PCH to Topanga to Fernwood. And though the approach was different Fernwood itself was just as fun and tough as ever. Having nearly peaked out as I approached Shueren and Stunt, I was looking forward to the long lazy descent and a coffee and treat at Starbucks before heading home.
But at the stop at the overlook, not only were there a few other riders and motorcyclists, but also the old wise Japanese marathon man who notoriously hangs around that junction. I had completely forgotten about our meeting 5 years earlier when I was running part of the Backbone trail for race preparation.
When I came across him then I had just finished running a trail marathon and was waiting for my wife to come and pick me up. Without allowing me a word in edge wise, he told me how he was once a very good marathoner and that I looked like I had the build to be one as well, if only I applied myself like he had. This after I just had run a marathon to reach the point where we both stood. But I didn’t press that point. I could tell he wanted to talk so why not indulge him?
On Sunday I was a bit disappointed he didn’t recognize me or at least try to convince me to take up running as opposed to riding. But he was engaged with another rider whom he seemed to recognize from previous encounters.
Regardless, it was oddly delightful to see him and know there is some continuity in the craziness of the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment