Wednesday, June 6, 2018
Michael: Humbled
Seven years to bloom
The majestic yucca plant
Reigns over the brush.
Monday, June 4, 2018
Yesterday, in the State Street Mile, I was humbled. I was hoping the race would show that I could be competitive in my age group in races from a mile to 50 miles. Perhaps, but yesterday’s results definitely show that I’m not capable of that all at the same time.
I was humbled, not humiliated. I came in 4th in my age group in 5:37. The winner finished in 5:26 and I was only two seconds from the third place finisher. But it is rare that I’m beaten by so many men my age or older.
And I’ve only cranked up the speed work and formalized it on the treadmill during the last month. And though I’m going to continue to sharpen up, I’m not under any illusions that I’m going to convert to a miler or a middle aged middle distance track star anytime soon. I enjoy trail running and racing too much to give it up to give the time and energy over to the work that would be necessary to try and become a decent miler. Maybe sometime down the road.
For now, it’s back to the dirt. Next up the unique challenge of the Old Goat Half Marathon June 23rd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment