Monday, June 4, 2018

Michael: Old Man Sisyphus

 Wednesday, May 30, 2018

This is going to be my last “whoa is me, I’m getting old” story until my memory goes and I start repeating these same stories over and over.

Given my recent running times it’s sadly apparent to me that all the time, money and energy Nike has put into the sub 2 hour marathon project isn’t going to pay any dividends to me as I slide further and further away from the summit from my athletic prime.

All right, I’ll take the gut punches at the finish of running events.

However, I was hoping the tech on the bicycling side of the spectrum would keep me near the summit of bygone highs and make up a bit in what I may have lost in the way of lost youth.

In that regard I was hoping the purchase of a fantastic climbing bike for my 60th birthday would put me in the same ball park of times I use to do routinely as near as 5 years ago. Back then I always climbed my test ride - Latigo - in under 50 minutes. But on the new bike I’ve yet to crack 54.

I’m not giving up yet. Just as I plan to crack 20 minutes again in a 5k. I plan to crack the 50 minute barrier up Latigo. I have a plan for how to accomplish the running goal, but I’m not sure how to approach making any improvements in my riding time given that I’m only riding twice a week. I haven’t been back in the saddle that long, so I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that persistence will pay off more than time will tax my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment