Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Michael: Rest Up, Ramp Up, Speed Up, Or Slow Down?
The jagged red rocks
Cut through the morning sunrise
Like an old man’s teeth.
Monday, October 29, 2018
Since I began racing again this year in April, I’ve run 11 races and am beginning to feel it. My last race was a 50k and, as a build up to a 100k in February next year, I had planned to run a 40 miler in December. But I’m beginning to feel a little worn out and feel it might be best to switch gears a bit and do a few shorter races that won’t be as mentally or physically challenging.
I’m still going to run a 30k I can walk to from home, but instead of the 40 miler, I’m going to run a 17k trail race in Orange County in December which will allow me to visit my family there since I’ll be working on Thanksgiving. I’ll also throw in a road half marathon in January. I hadn’t planned a race for that month, but I’m hoping the gear switch to the road and shorter distance will help keep my form up and will serve me well going into the 100k in February.
This is what my mind and body are telling me is the way to go right now. Whether I’d be better off building up to the long race with other, shorter ultras or not, time will tell. And that’s part of the fun of coaching myself and trying to go with my intuition at times instead of a strict training schedule.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment