Thursday, December 13, 2018
Michael: 50 Miles: Over 60 Under 8
There should be flowers
Where the stones of my sister
Lie over the soil.
Wednesday, December 12, 2018
The mathematics of my next goal is relatively straight forward; I’m going to run a 50 mile trail race in under 8 hours.
The way that breaks down is I’ll need to run about 1:35 every 10 miles.
That would look like this:
10 miles - 1:35 I’ve done that many times.
20 miles - 3:10 Manageable.
30 miles - 4:40 It’s been a while, but in the realm of plausibility.
40 miles - 6:20 Never raced that distance.
50 miles - 7:50 Add a few minutes for aid station stops and voila! I’m
Under 8.
The only kinks in this protocol is I’ve never run a 50 under 8:35 and that was a good five years ago. So am I going senile or is my ego on the fritz?
Maybe. But the reasons I feel I’m capable is that the course is relatively flat and all my other experiences have been with very hilly courses. For example, that 8:38 was done in the Headland 50 that had an elevation gain of 20,000 ft. The San Diego 50 gains only 4,000 ft. That’s a pretty flat course. So the challenge is trading hills for a brisker pace and hoping that’ll translate into a gain of at least 40 minutes. Sounds like a puzzler worth giving it a go.
Of course my condition going into the race and the weather along with all the other variables that go into ultras will come into play.
But lets lace up the shoes, or a couple pair of them next month and give it a go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment