Wednesday, December 19, 2018
Michael: Keep it Simple
A dusting of snow
Covers the local mountains
At least through Christmas.
Tuesday, December 18, 2018
I’ve always envied those racers who show up at long races with only a small bottle in their hand to meet the minimal race requirements for carrying fluids and who can rely on aid stations alone for all of their needs. On the other hand, I’ve always been a bit dismissive of people who show up with full packs as if they’re just going out for another training run.
Yes, I fall into that middle ground of racers who realize I’m racing and can rely on aid stations to carry some of the load, but am not confident or fast enough to just use whatever goo/junk/food they have at an aid station table and hit the ground running until I run into the next aid station where I’d repeat that process.
I’m a bit nervous. And those nerves connect to my stomach, which if I worry too much I’m afraid may get upset with me; a scenario I’d like to avoid. So I’m going to use the Ultraspire Revolt pack and race belt to carry a few comfort items with me.
I’ve been debating on whether to use just one or the other at the upcoming San Diego 50 miler, but to cut down on time at the drop bag station, I’m going to use both. That way I can have a loaded belt waiting for me at the drop.
At certain 50ks I’ve had the guts (pun intended) to use shorts with a few pockets in them to carry a few hydration/sugar/caffeine goodies and just a bottle. And maybe one of these days I’ll be bold enough to just run naked with nothing but a bottle or nothing at all. But don’t encourage me. At this age, even in shape, it’s not a pretty sight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment