He sprints away from the start
Though the race is long.
Wednesday, July 3, 2019
I realize this is the 4th of July but to me it feels more like Thanksgiving. I am very grateful that I’m working full time and am on a salary when my employer could’ve very easily kept me on a nervous thread and left me in a precarious position of wondering how we’d make through the two months of August and September when they move part of the operation to Europe.
As is my wife, we work for the same employer though she’s a part-timer, will more than likely receive scant hours during those summer months. But for reasons I don’t fully understand, I was made a full timer a month ago, so even though I won’t be traveling to Europe I’ll still be paid. And though I’ll be expected to work at their other location in Malibu, the supervisor there has already told me not to be shy about taking my vacation and any other time off I’d like as they’re not hurting for employees.
I’m going to meet her halfway on this request. I could use the money, but I’m also a former teacher and am use to long breaks. And though this job isn’t nearly as stressful, at this stage of the game I’m willing to trade a little bit of money for some extra down time.
Last year at this time I was a part timer and was worried that I wouldn’t be given many hours so I feel for the part-timers whom hours I may end up taking. My supervisor could’ve easily waited until they returned to make a decision about my full time status, and from a business stand point, it would’ve been the money saving thing to do. But she didn’t so on this 4th of July holiday I’m full of gratitude and grateful to be living in Topanga with some time off from work and from the great stress of financial worries largely off my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment