Thursday, July 25, 2019

Michael: Three Hail Mary's






Tan and white feathers
Spread majestically in flight

 Of the great Barn Owl.

 Tuesday, July 23, 2019



It’s funny what’ll trigger my thoughts about religion and why I haven’t practiced my childhood faith since, well, childhood.



Friday, it was a co-worker joking about her boyfriend doing three Hail Mary’s as penance for eating ice cream. That got me to thinking about how I had sinned against my supervisor by talking to her supervisor about how we had screwed up a guest’s request. It was one of those right after I said it moments that I wish I had kept my big mouth shut.



That got me to thinking about religion and forgiveness. How I was raised was that I could go to confession and ask a priest for forgiveness. He would give me a penance, and that would be that. All would be right between God and I.



But that’s the problem. My sin was against God, it was against my supervisor. Shouldn’t I go to her for forgiveness?



That’s a trivial example I know, but I feel much of our sins, from venial to mortal, if those categories still exist, work that way. They don’t involve God so I just say let’s leave that Big Persona in the sky out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment