Tuesday, July 2, 2019

MIchael: Mixing it Up







Eucalyptus tree

Without its old curly skin

Shines like a child.

Monday, July 1, 2019



Three different surfaces and three distinct distances are going to make for an entertaining July.



The surfaces are pavement, track, and dirt. The distances are a 5k, mile and 50k.

The races are The Dos Vientos 5k on the 4th, an all-comers meet in Carpenteria on the 19th, and the Harding Hustle 50k on the 27th.



My goals for the 5k are to go under 20 minutes. I failed in two attempts last year. It’s been even longer since I’ve run a mile on a track; all the way back to high school 43 years ago. It would be delusional to believe I could come close to what I could do back then, so I’m hopefully being realistic in shooting for under 5:30. It wasn’t nearly that long ago that I run the Harding Hustle in under 5 hours; 2012 to be exact. I’m hoping the weather cooperates and allows me to hit that benchmark again. 



Naturally, outside of the running challenges; training, outfits, gear, nutrition, hydration and pre-race rituals come into play. Though there really won’t be much difference in any of these aspects of racing for the 5k and the mile outside of hopping on the track once or twice to test out my new spikes so I don’t stumble from the start of the mile. And although the 50k requires a bit more thought be put into all these aspects of running, for me at least, the process always starts from the ground up.



For that event all probably go with the shoe that’s been very reliable for me this year; the Hoka Torrents. I’ve only run one trail race wearing something different this year and that’s because it was only a 10k and I had a pretty good feeling I could get away with a lighter, less cushioned shoe. But for all my long events I’ve been very, very happy with the Torrents.



Yet…I’m always on the lookout for another well cushioned shoe to alternate with the Torrents, particularly in long events like 50 milers and 100ks where I use two pairs of shoes. I do feel the Brooks Caldera’s work well, but I’m a variety is the spice of life kind of guy and I’d like to try a zero drop platform just for the hell of it. Altras just haven’t impressed me enough yet to give them a go. Lately the Inov8 Terraultra 260gs have caught my eye. And now that they’re on sale at Running Warehouse, I may give them a go. They’ve been getting very good reviews and I like the color way. I’m hesitant to believe they’ll get the 1000 miles that Inov8 claims they’re capable of, but on the other hand, I’m not overly concerned with durability in a race shoe. If they’re comfortable and last a good six months through a few long races, the price (so long as it’s under $130) will be worth it.



Three different surfaces and three distinct distances are going to make for an entertaining July.



The surfaces are pavement, track, and dirt. The distances are a 5k, mile and 50k.

The races are The Dos Vientos 5k on the 4th, an all-comers meet in Carpenteria on the 19th, and the Harding Hustle 50k on the 27th.



My goals for the 5k are to go under 20 minutes. I failed in two attempts last year. It’s been even longer since I’ve run a mile on a track; all the way back to high school 43 years ago. It would be delusional to believe I could come close to what I could do back then, so I’m hopefully being realistic in shooting for under 5:30. It wasn’t nearly that long ago that I run the Harding Hustle in under 5 hours; 2012 to be exact. I’m hoping the weather cooperates and allows me to hit that benchmark again. 



Naturally, outside of the running challenges; training, outfits, gear, nutrition, hydration and pre-race rituals come into play. Though there really won’t be much difference in any of these aspects of racing for the 5k and the mile outside of hopping on the track once or twice to test out my new spikes so I don’t stumble from the start of the mile. And although the 50k requires a bit more thought be put into all these aspects of running, for me at least, the process always starts from the ground up.



For that event all probably go with the shoe that’s been very reliable for me this year; the Hoka Torrents. I’ve only run one trail race wearing something different this year and that’s because it was only a 10k and I had a pretty good feeling I could get away with a lighter, less cushioned shoe. But for all my long events I’ve been very, very happy with the Torrents.



Yet…I’m always on the lookout for another well cushioned shoe to alternate with the Torrents, particularly in long events like 50 milers and 100ks where I use two pairs of shoes. I do feel the Brooks Caldera’s work well, but I’m a variety is the spice of life kind of guy and I’d like to try a zero drop platform just for the hell of it. Altras just haven’t impressed me enough yet to give them a go. Lately the Inov8 Terraultra 260gs have caught my eye. And now that they’re on sale at Running Warehouse, I may give them a go. They’ve been getting very good reviews and I like the color way. I’m hesitant to believe they’ll get the 1000 miles that Inov8 claims they’re capable of, but on the other hand, I’m not overly concerned with durability in a race shoe. If they’re comfortable and last a good six months through a few long races, the price (so long as it’s under $130) will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment