Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Michael: The Man I Forgot to Forget About




Innocent mistakes

Like silent raindrops falling

Into her coffee.

 Monday, August 12, 2019



There are quirky people you meet under quirky circumstances that you figure you’ll never encounter again, so though you think that moment will make an indelible impression, but it both kind of does and doesn’t.



For example, about 7 years ago when I was training for the first ever Backbone Ultra I did a marathon training run that ended at the three road junction at the Louis Ewen Overlook. There an older Japanese gentleman greeted me and began to tell me how he use to be a marathon runner and that I should train for one since it looked like I had the right body type. I tried to explain to him that I had just finished a marathon to get to the point we were both sharing, but that didn’t seem to stop or even slow his continued advocacy of how and why I should take up marathon training.



Since I didn’t run into him again for years I completely forgot about that incident until last Wednesday. Then I was riding my bike up Shueren toward that very same point as he was walking down that street. He greeted me with a thumbs up, not recognizing me. But with a flash I recalled who he was.



I’m sure after a few more rides and runs past that point I’ll once again forget meeting him until the next time we cross paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment