Eucalyptus trees
With their old skin shedding
In the summer heat.
Wednesday, July 31, 2019
There’s always lessons to be learned from a race and I learned a lot at the Harding Hustle 50k on Saturday. Mainly I learned not to go without my Superfeet green insoles for any run lasting over 3 hours.
On Saturday I wore a shoe that I had only run in twice before, the Inov8 260s. They were great on those couple of training runs. They felt so good in fact that I thought I could go without my usual swap out insoles. I was wrong and I’m now paying the price with painful steps on bruised heels. Oddly, it’s far more prevalent on my left, but since hopping is an extremely tiring way to train, I’ve taken a couple of days off of running to let my heel, heal.
So why ditch the inserts if they’ve been working for me? Because there’s a compromise in using the Superfeet greens and that is they make a shoe far more stiff laterally which makes if feel like I’m more prone to roll an ankle. That hasn’t happened to the extent of causing an injury, but it is a disconcerting feeling running down a rocky or uneven trail.
But I’ve discovered that for longer events I don’t have a choice. I’ve also fortunately found two shoes I’m now very happy using in ultras; the Hoka Torrents and the Inov8 260s. I just won’t be using either without replacing their insoles with the old reliable Superfeet green insoles.
No comments:
Post a Comment