Friday, June 5, 2020

Michael: Phase Three


Where is paradise?
The lost travelers inquired
At the gates of hell.

 Thursday, June 4, 2020

My wife and I work in a Phase Three business. I had no idea there was such a thing mid March, but I suspect that many Californians have gained that knowledge and are in the same position as we are.
That is; one of us will be going back to work soon while the other remains unemployed due to restructuring and/or reduced demand for our services.
I imagine that, like us, because much of our income is dependent upon tips,  even if my salary isn’t reduced, my income will be. Couple all that with reduced unemployment benefits as soon as the bonus payments end in July and, like many Californians, we will not have nearly the disposable income that we had just a few months ago.

And here is where the dominoes start to fall and make it easy to understand that our economy will not be returning to normal anytime soon.

We are at least fortunate enough to not have any outstanding debt or large financial obligations outside of rent. And if we remain lucky and in good health our lifestyle, being somewhat spartan as is, won’t really change all that much. We even have a few months rainy day savings for when the next disaster strikes.

I do feel optimistic though, but I also want to be careful and not sense that I’m being a Candide. No, this isn’t the best of all possible worlds, but if we can somehow manage to restructure our society to make it more just for all, perhaps all this absurdity won’t have been in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment