Saturday, October 28, 2017

Michael: Forced Periodization


Metal roof raindrops
Rise to a long crescendo
Before they’re silent.

Monday, October 9, 2017

Perhaps due to age, perhaps under my wife’s influence, I’m not sure, but sometimes my cynical side is overcome by an “always look on the bright side of life…”, optimism that was foreign to my personality not so long ago. Case in point - seeing my reduced activity due to injury as having a bright side.

As an athlete, I’ve always been a bit skeptical of programs that promoted periodization. But for sure, as an older athlete, I’m fearful of not touching base with speed, strength, endurance, balance and mobility at least once every week. I just don’t feel at this age I can afford to neglect any area of fitness and expect to get something back after a prolonged lay off.

That’s why any injury is a very depressing threat to my well being. Fortunately, this time round I only hurt my face. But it’s still going to require a few weeks of easing up a bit. Basically, for three reasons; 1, my replacement helmet won’t arrive from the states for a few weeks. 2, I can’t drink out of a bottle just yet without drooling all over myself like Elaine in Seinfeld when she thought she had rabies, and 3, I’m going to limit my sun exposure until my skin has healed well enough not to scar.

After a week lay-off, I have pretty much resumed my routine, though on a partially indoors and more limited basis. And if there is a good month to cut back a little and go indoors in the highlands of Panama, it’s October; the rainiest month of the year. And it’s not that I’m against flexing a workout routine based on upcoming events, but to periodize significantly or routinely just doesn’t work for me. So I’m anxious to see how this 3 week cut back will effect me or how long it’ll take for me to rebound and get back to where I was before my accident. Part of me is afraid, and part of me is telling me it may bring back a little verve to getting back outside. I’m trying to lean toward the verve side.

No comments:

Post a Comment