Thursday, October 19, 2017

Michael: Virtually Indestructable


The preying mantis
With its enticing leaf wings
Lays a deadly trap.

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Yesterday we walked to the hospital to pick up my bike and once again my bike has proven it’s extraordinarily adept at using me as a human shield. The only damages are the brake levers were moved and the bar has some small scratches.

Thus, the only non-medical causalities from my accident are my helmet and my sunglasses. And even at that the sunglasses may be fine but they’re missing in action. The helmet I’ll need to replace and fortunately I found the same model, a Giro Foray, at Nashbar for only $60. I’ll get it in the Hi Viz version this time out instead of the basic black and white that saved my noggin this time round. I have another spare set of sunglasses so need to anti up for another pair at the moment.

Even most of my kit came away almost unscathed. There’s a small tear in my jersey that I could live with, but I’m not going to. I’m going to splurge just a little and get an inexpensive one from Nashbar just as a little present to myself for being so lucky. I’ll also replace the gloves, which were pretty old and on their way out anyway. My bibs are fine. And my arm sleeves, one of which has a decent amount of blood on it, I may still use as a reminder to keep my head up and focused at all times.

Stupidity followed by good luck. Not the best combination in the world, but better than that song line, “If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment