Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Michael: Rolling the Dice


My muscles have lives
And aches and pains of their own
They will share with me.

Monday, September 3, 2018

Before last Sunday’s race, the race director answered one of my two questions I e-mailed; should I take the shuttle or arrange for a ride back from the finish? He was right. If I had waited for the shuttle I would not have made it to work.

The other question, the one he didn’t answer before the race, was how many aid stations there would be and where were they located on the course? Without that answer, I had to do a little investigating and guessing as to whether I should bring a bottle or not.

All the website said about aid stations is that there would be water on the course. It did, fortunately, have a short video of  a previous run of the race and from that 3 minute clip I gleaned that not very many people were using packs or bottles. I also discovered, this morning while I was searching for race results, that the 2017 description of the event stated that there would be at least 7 water stations on course. I wish I would’ve had that information earlier, but it is what it is.

From this, and knowing that the weather would be mild, I decided to roll the dice and not carry water. That turned out to be fine decision. Turns out there were 8 stations on course, about one every mile and a half, providing ample opportunity to go sans pack. And when going from sea level to just a pinch under 4,000 ft in 13.1 miles, it was a relief not to carry any unnecessary  weight

No comments:

Post a Comment