Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Michael: Lent


The golden poppies
Vivid orange blooms carpet
California’s hills.

Monday, March 11, 2019

Although I was raised a Roman Catholic, I don’t remember ever practicing Lent or learning anything about it. Occasionally my wife or sister will talk about it, but it’s quickly forgotten and I’ve never felt the urge to investigate its roots or give anything up for it.

But this year, since it coincides with our move to Topanga, I thought it might be worth experimenting with not bringing a few delicacies into the new fridge, just to try out this refrain from temptation thing to see where it gets me.

I’ve already mentioned the lack of a walking distance coffee shop which I’ve decided is a good portent to cutting back on my morning danish from two to one a day. I’ve also decided to see how long I can keep cheese out of the house. That’s both an ethical and a calorie thing.

I figure that’ll do for now. If I can drop a couple of pounds and can feel a smidgeon better about how I’m treating the planet, that should be a win - win whether it involves Lent or not.

Maybe next year I’ll vow to give up some of my ignorance and investigate what this Lent thing is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment