Friday, October 16, 2020

One Thing...

 

One Thing…; Thursday, October 15, 2020

 

The malibu frog

Hopped along for a van ride

Before leaping out.

Thursday, October 15, 2020

 How fortunate I’ve been at this time of consternation for so many to not only be healthy and working but to have also received such a generous tip as a very sweet bicycle from a guest. That bicycle’s components are now on a Cervelo R5 frame that I’ve ridden enough times now to judge it as an improvement over my old Cannondale Hi-Mod Evo.

However, every gift horse comes with a few small, unexpected accoutrements. In this case two standout.

 1.    Old cyclometers, like leather strapped cage pedals, are only used by single speed hipster dufuses and not real cyclists. (Actually, I’m just presuming that. I’m too old to know any hipster dufuses. But it sounds about right.) Everyone now seems to be either using Garmin or Wahoo. And as much as I don’t like to think of myself as a crowd follower. In this case I am and now have a Garmin Edge 520 to work with as opposed to whatever my old Cateye cyclometer was.

2   My very cool Seasucker bike rack is no longer usable because the new bike’s front axle is a thru – axle. So I’ve had to purchase a new rack.

 I know these are small nigs given the state of the world right now. And they’re really not all that much of an inconvenience. Heck, the Garmin is kind of cool with it’s phone app and all the breakdown of information it gives.

 
But they were still small additional changes and expenses that weren’t initially on my radar. Which may say more about my radar than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment