Friday, July 10, 2015

Michael: Indian Summer


Uneven wood planks
Make the bridge a perilous
Bicycle crossing.

Thursday, July 9, 2015


The weather, as Mark Twain said, is an interesting topic; everyone complains about it but no one gets up to do anything about it. Kimme and I are not complaining, just observing the differences between what we read about and what we’re experiencing in Volcan.

One aspect of the weather we didn’t read about but that they talk about here is an Indian summer. That’s a typical dry spell in the rainy season that may last up to a few weeks. We may have just gone through it. Up until Sunday we had only two days where there was light rain. Otherwise it was sunny and warm.

But since Sunday, we’ve fallen back into the usual pattern of a dry morning then afternoon rain.

We’ve also been told to expect the rain to intensify as the rainy season progresses. One ex-pat said the worse she recalls it getting is going 13 days without sunshine while it rained. That would be about four times greater than I’ve ever experienced in my life. In Southern California it might rain for a few days, but then there’s a break. And even at that, three hard days of constant rain is unusual. I’m not sure how L.A. would handle a 13 day steady onslaught, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be pretty. I’m hoping I won’t have to find out how ugly I’ll get if I have to sit inside that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment