Monday, April 24, 2017

Michael: B Races


Lazy animals
Lying in the living room
Watching nature shows.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Next Sunday will be one of the rare opportunities to run a local trail race. In Los Angeles races are expensive and I’m not rich, so if I signed up for a race I never approached it as a B race. Here, races are cheap so using one as a training session seems reasonable, but the paradox is that here I can actually win money and come out substantially ahead, again making it difficult to sign up for an event just as a B race.

Fortunately, next Sunday’s race is only a 10k so won’t require much in the way of a taper and I can work it into my training schedule as a long tempo run. But if there’s money and/or prestige on the line my mindset is to compete.

I will use  this race as a test of my training, but what race isn’t? I suppose my mindset, given that I’m not going to change my workouts much this week, ought to somehow be different, but that’s not the way I’m geared. I don’t get B races yet. They sound worthwhile, but when people with numbers start gathering, I still feel like a little kid and want to try my best to touch the fence first and get back across the line before anybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment