Monday, April 10, 2017
Michael: Let Go Lightly
Orange chested bird
Effortlessly cheers me up
Just by existing.
Sunday, April 9, 2017
One of my favorite movies is The Croupier; if only I could be so casually charismatic to believe in a line like, “Hold on tightly; let go lightly.”
But I can’t. I suppose that’s one of the reasons I like that line so much. Heck, I don’t feel I’ve ever completely let go of any relationship I’ve been in. Even one with pets.
And now for the first time in twenty years it looks like I’ll have a female of the non-human persuasion back in my life; Luna, the part pit bull part who knows what.
I’m not a dog whisperer but she seems to be far more suited to the philosophy of the croupier than I. The first day her master left she whimpered a bit, and that’s been about it. She seems to have almost overnight transferred her need for a pack to me.
And I know it’s not because I’m special. I’m just here and compassionate enough.
I once was foolish enough to say that at an interview when I was asked what I thought were the important qualities of being a teacher. I know saying being compassionate and being there consistently probably didn’t go over very well, but I still feel it’s true, particularly for a profession like teaching elementary school.
At least it seems dogs get it. But damned, my life would’ve been a lot more chipper if I could’ve ever got that “Let go lightly” part of the equation down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment