Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Michael: Finished Before the Finish Line


Panamanian
Mountain sky is a light show
Of stars and planets.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Just days away from my last road race as a 59 year old and I’m already dreading the outcome will dash I’ll my big dream hopes going into my big race year as a 60 year old.

How come? Because I have no idea of what to expect, yet if I feel good and feel that I ran a good race, I know it’ll be wise to use the results to modify the pace of my workouts and my expectations for the upcoming year.

Right now I’m running almost purely by feel. I do speed work on a slight uphill in Griffith Park on Mondays. I run hard for 30 seconds 9 times than do three all out efforts for 22 seconds on near level ground. I roughly know that I’m holding steady week by week because of the landmarks I use to quantify me efforts, but I don’t know the distance.

That’s also how I’ve been running my tempo runs on Wednesday: three minutes hard; one minute off, but again I don’t know the distance I’m covering.

But soon I will. I’ll be running a two loop basically flat course that’ll add up to a half marathon. I’ve run half marathons within the last 10 years under 1:25, so I’ll be very interested to see how the numbers shake out Sunday.

If they don’t look good I’ll probably have to adjust my dream of going under 5:20 in the State Street mile in June, and whether it’s realistic to expect to run a road 10k around 40 and a 5k around 19. I’ll also have to re-think whether the trail Bull Dog 25k  in August under 2:10 is plausible.

On the other hand, if all goes well I can continue with the way I like to train and not worry about jumping on a track or getting a watch that will give me a more objective readout of my workouts.

I really do enjoy working out the way I have been, but I’m also results driven and am willing to modify my training if that’s what it takes to improve. Either way, Sunday will be an eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment