Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Michael: Three Blind Mice
The iron rocks rust
And weather like an old face
That’s been out too long.
Monday, March 26, 2018
I learned many things during my pop quiz half iron man attempt yesterday.
First off, I learned I’m not the only one prone to getting lost while racing as the two leaders and I played three blind mice and we all missed the two loop half marathon turn around. The leaders were a good 75 yards ahead of me when I turned a corner and was conflicted. I had a young volunteer directing me to a tunnel and the turn around and I had the two leaders running straight up the bike trail ahead of me. I asked the volunteer why they were going straight and she shrugged her shoulders and said she didn’t know. I let her age, my adrenaline, and both our lack of adamancy to the conclusion that I should follow the two leaders.
About a quarter mile later I ran into an older gentleman at an aid station who said I was going the wrong way. He said he sent his young son to try and redirect the leaders but he couldn’t catch them. At that point I was pretty exasperated. I could’ve possibly regrouped and won, but it wouldn’t have meant very much to me. As is I got some of what I came for so decided to jog back to the start line and talk to the race director.
The race director was very understanding and asked me to e-mail him and he’d discount/comp me a future race.
I was using this race as a training and equipment check, and for that it will help a bit.
First off, running in the Saucony Fastwitches worked fine and they’ll serve as my road race shoe this year for all the distances I plan on competing in which will be between a mile and half marathons.
Pacing wise, I only got one accurate mark; a two mile time around 13 minutes. Not bad, so even if I slowed a bit and just averaged 6:40 the rest of the way, I think I can train to go well under 1:30 in the half. But given the effort I was feeling I’m really going to have to pick up the tempo work to hit under 5:30 at the State Street Mile in June. I was hoping to go under 1:20 but with only two months to go I’m recalibrating.
Next up will be some trail races on my birthday weekend in May; a 20 miler on Cinco de Mayo and the Verdugo 10k the next day. That’ll be interesting to see how my legs respond to the short recovery. I use to do something like that every year, actually running three races in two days; the Santa Monica 5 and 10k followed the next day by a half marathon in Carpenteria. I did well and enjoyed it. It’ll be interesting to see how age both effects my performances and feelings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment