Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Michael: 20/20 But not My Vision


Days of late sun downs
Bring whispers of ocean waves
High into the hills.

Monday, April 1, 2019

A race a month and my third failed goal time.

This month it was a 5k called the Prayfit in Westlake right across the street from where I work, so at least I had the consolation of having a 5 star porta-pottie all to myself. That in and of itself is reward enough to offset any disappointing race results.

And at 20:22 the results were mildly disappointing. My goal was a sub 20, which I still believe is doable under the right conditions. Those conditions being a great training block, a flat course, and perhaps a genie bestowing on me a bit of age reversing stardust.

Next month it’s back to the trails in a distance that’s not raced very often; an 18k at the Ahmanson Trail Races. Since this is a new race for that series and I’m unfamiliar with the course, I won’t have any hard fix on any time standard so at least the expectations that accrue around those goofy goals won’t be there.

I’m sure I’ll find something else to stress over though. After all, why would anyone train for a race without at least some chance to experience the agony of defeat or the glory of victory or however the old Wide World of Sports summarized the appeal of competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment