Friday, May 1, 2020

Michael: Mr. Magoos





The overwhelming

Beauty of the spring foliage

Won’t last forever.

 Wednesday, April 29, 2020



Right now I’m suppose to be working on a Toastmasters’ speech. It’s going to be about how the hosts of childhood television programs of the 50s/60s interacted with their viewers. These aren’t suppose to be politically orientated, and this topic seems pretty neutral on it’s face, but it got me to thinking about our choices in the upcoming election.



I see our choices as being between two Mr. Magoos; one a narcissistic bumbler and the other just a once in a while crotchety Mr. Magoo. And, I suppose on some level, either one would be somewhat amusing if so many lives weren’t at stake both now and in the future. But sadly they are and I’m not sure either is going to make much of a difference either in the short or long run.



Now for whatever reason Trump has his devout followers and haters and Biden does not. Biden is at best a place holder, and it’s hard to motivate people who are either cynical or indifferent about our electoral process to get off their duffs and vote for a place holder. That’s why it almost doesn’t matter what happens between now and the election. Outside of a significant part of the U.S. blowing up in some literal fashion, Trump is going to have a great chance of being re-elected.



The only reason I can see to get out (actually mail in my ballot) is to replace RBG with a liberal justice. That’s probably not going to do it for that many cynical or indifferent people to make a difference. I imagine that most people who care about the Supreme Court are already in that Lover/Hater part of the election Venn diagram.



Either way the prospect of watching Mr. Magoo for four more years, no matter which, isn’t all that interesting to me. I didn’t much care for the show even as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment